Archives Centre acquires its first female collection, the papers of Helen Cam
The daughter of a headmaster, Helen Cam graduated from Royal Holloway College, University of London, with a BA in 1902. After a period as a schoolmistress, she returned to Royal Holloway as a lecturer in History. She moved to Girton College, Cambridge, in 1921. A leading authority on medieval law and local government, she was active in local politics in Cambridge and became a benefactor of the Romsey Labour Club. In 1948 she became the first woman to hold a chair at Harvard, and received a CBE in 1957 for her services to education. Professor Cam donated a collection of papers relating to her work in academia after the Second World War to the Churchill Archives Centre in 1967; her personal papers are held at Girton College.