Please note that placements in archives and records management are currently on hold whilst we conduct a review of our volunteering placements
Do you enjoy bringing order out of chaos? Are you interested in twentieth century history? Are you thinking of pursuing a career in archives or conservation?
Churchill Archives Centre offers volunteer placements for those aged over 18 and interested in a career in archives, records management or conservation.
Placements for those interested in a career in archives and records management are between one week and two weeks (or the equivalent in half days or days over a longer period) and usually involve the following elements:
- A basic box listing or description task, perhaps on a new collection, which would be the main element of the placement.
- Answering some enquiries from researchers.
- A session or two shadowing the archivist on duty in the reading room and helping with producing files for readers.
- A tour of the conservation workshop.
- An introduction to records management and a basic records management task.
- An introduction to digital archives.
- An introduction to making copies of archives (reprographics).
- Also, depending on what is going on during the particular period of the placement, there may be the opportunity to help out with a visiting group, including preparing a display for them.
Placements for those interested in pursuing a career in conservation are flexible but are usually dependant on the candidate being already on, or applying for, a conservation course. They usually involve the following elements:
- Preservation packaging of collections using archival materials.
- Making bespoke enclosures or simple boxes.
- Longer term placements may involve surface dry cleaning and simple paper repairs.
We can offer a free lunch in Hall each day and travel expenses up to a maximum of £5 per day. Unfortunately, we cannot offer accommodation, so volunteers must live within commuting distance of Cambridge.
If you would like to find out more, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org marking your email for the attention of Hannah James and Madelin Evans (archive placement) or Sarah Lewery (conservation placement). We ask all potential volunteers to come in for a brief tour of the Archives Centre, so they can see the working environment and discuss the placement further.